The Market Situation for Small Wind Generators
There is an extensive range of small wind generator available.
Nonetheless, the breakthrough – with the exception of some special situations in the USA, China and to a smaller extent in Great Britain – did not happen.
THE CAUSES ARE DIVERSE::
• the local availability of wind is the decisive factor for the determination of the profitability of such an installation – and the exact calculation of such supply is very expensive (in contrast to photovoltaic). This requires significant (time) investment for the risk evaluation.
• the supply is dominated by multi-wing generators with an horizontal axis, which are mounted on poles. These generators (upward thrust, high rotation generators) cause the same problems, regarding the shadow casting and the noise emissions, like the large generators. This usually prevents the granting of an installation permit in residential and mixed areas.
• the currently available slow-rotating generators with a vertical axis, which do not have the previously indicated disadvantages, have only a low efficiency (performance indicators under 0.2). This usually prevents a cost-effective operation. To the best of our knowledge, there is currently no such generator on the market, which is also fully certified (incl. output values, noise emissions and operational reliability data). However, in some countries (especially. in GB, with high subsidies for wind power generators) the certification is a prerequisite for the funding.
THE MARKET READINESS FOR SUCH GENERATORS IS HIGH
• Since the existing photovoltaic generators can be usefully complemented by small wind generators (see seasonal profile of the energy ressources).
• Especially in combination with power storage systems, there is the possibility for generating high levels of self-sufficiency and thus high levels of economy in comparison with the network energy consumption (power socket price).
HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO MEET THE CRITERIA
• A certified vertical generator, in the small power range (1-5 KW nominal capacity) with performance indicators of > 0.4 and a generator price below 3,000.00 €/KW nominal capacity could represent a breakthrough in this situation.
• the generator designed by modulbluE modulbluE, which is currently under development, will fulfill these criteria.